Back To Top


Answering Your
Personal Injury Questions

Personal injury law in Ontario can be confusing and stressful for the uninitiated. Many people have questions about their rights to compensation, as well as the process itself. The following are some of the questions we hear most often from our clients at Campbell Law Professional Corp. Click on any of the following headings to jump directly to that section. Have a question that is not addressed here? Contact our office for more information.

What is Personal Injury?

If you have been physically or emotionally harmed through the negligence of another, then you will want to seek the very best Niagara Falls personal injury lawyer to help you recover the maximum damages to compensate you for your injuries. Examples of personal injury cases include slip and fall accidents, dog bites, car accidents, and product liability.

What Can I Recover?

Through the help of our lawyers in Niagara Falls, Ontario you can recover actual damages and even moral damages, which may have resulted from mental anguish stemming from the original injury. Other damages for medical expenses, reparation for property, and lost wages can also be recovered. If your injuries are long-term in nature your future quality of life may be undermined and for this you may be eligible for compensation.

How Will I Pay?

You will only need to pay if we have recovered damages for your injury. This contingency fee arrangement benefits you since it eliminates the risk that you will have to spend money on a lawyer without receiving a damage award. By taking on your case we are demonstrating our confidence in your case and our ability to win your case for you.

How Will I Hire My Personal Injury Lawyer?

You should hire a lawyer whose focus and expertise is in personal injury law. Check if they have great experience when it comes to winning cases, and recovering monetary awards. The track record of your chosen lawyer will have a great bearing on your ability to win damages.

What is “no fault”?

No fault merely means that, no matter who is at fault, your own auto insurer provides accident benefits, such as income replacement, medical rehabilitation and housekeeping assistance. However, these benefits are not automatic and legal assistance is sometimes required to obtain the benefits that you deserve.

Does this mean that I can’t sue if I have been injured in a motor vehicle accident?

No. If you have been injured in a motor vehicle accident (car, motorcycle), and you are not to blame for that accident, you can still sue for the following:

  • Pain and suffering – Remember, in Ontario, you must have sustained a serious and permanent injury in order to obtain compensation for pain and suffering. There is also a deductible of over $38,000.00 if your accident was on or after October 1, 2003.
  • Loss of income
  • Loss of housekeeping
  • Loss of care, guidance and companionship
  • Expenses incurred from your injuries
  • Other damages

How long do I have after my injury to sue the person at fault?

You have 2 years from the date of your accident to sue the at fault party, although there are some exceptions to this rule. Contact a lawyer immediately after your accident.

What if I am at fault for the accident?

As mentioned above, you still are able to obtain accident benefits. Also, don’t be too quick to conclude that you are at fault. Speak to a lawyer; there may be other factors involved in your accident that could affect liability.

Let's Get In Touch

We’re Here to help. Contact us today by clicking below.